Monday, April 4, 2011

Welcome to the Shelter Dog's Blog

Welcome to The Shelter Dog's Blog

Hi! Welcome to my new blog. I'm planning on using this blog to highlight some of the longterm doggie residents of Wayside Waifs. If you aren't familiar with Wayside, get acquainted here: http://www.waysidewaifs.org/. My name is Shilo, and I was surrendered to Wayside when my owner lost her job and her house was foreclosed on.  My sister was separated from me and quickly adopted, but sadly I had to what much longer for my forever home.  The staff at Wayside don't know what the trigger was, but after I went home with somebody, it was very apparent that I had separation anxiety.  I went through two different homes before a lady on staff decided to foster me to work on my anxiety.  Long story short, I now have a new home where I am very loved and somebody is home most of the day everyday.  My old foster mom asked me to start this blog to highlight some of the long term dogs at Wayside and help people to understand the importance of not only adopting a pet instead of buying one, as well as the importance of spaying and neutering your pets. 

I'm hoping this blog will be a sounding board in order to share some personality traits, quirks, tricks, and general information about some of our dogs who have had to call Wayside home longer than they would have liked. My heart has a particular soft spot for the black dogs. Nobody can really say why, but the black dogs tend to stay in shelters longer than other dogs. I'd say a huge majority of the dogs at Wayside are black or mostly black. I'd even venture to say as many as 60-70% of them are black. Being a black dog myself, I think everybody needs one!

And the myth that you can't get a purebred dog at a shelter is just silly. My foster mom has three dogs, and two of them are purebred dogs. All three of them came home with the intent that she was just fostering them. That makes her a three time "foster flunkie!" That is okay; she wears that title well.

I hope you'll come back and visit! I'll update soon with some of my favorite Wayside dogs. See you soon!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment